1 distinctly separate from the first; "that's another (or different) issue altogether" [syn: another(a), different]
2 one more or an added; "another chance"; "another cup of coffee"; "an additional piece of pie" [syn: another(a), additional]
3 any of various alternatives; some other; "put it off to another (or some other) day" [syn: another(a), some other]
- One more, in addition to a former number; a second or
additional one, similar in likeness or in effect.
- Yes, I'd like another slice of cake, thanks.
- Not the same; different.
- Do you know another way to do this job?
- Any or
some; any different person, indefinitely; anyone else; someone else.
- He has never known another like her.
Usage notesAs a fused head construction another may have a possessive another's (plural: others, or possessive plural other. It is much used in opposition to one; as, one went one way, another another. It is also used with one, in a reciprocal sense; as, "love one another," that is, let each love the other or others. These two imparadised in one another's arms. — Milton.
one more, in addition to a former number
not the same; different
In hacker jargon, the use of yet another as a way of padding out an acronym is fairly common. Examples include:
- YAAP: Yet Another Ascension Post (an announcement of a win at NetHack)
- YaAST: Yet Another Avatar Setup Tool, written to help changing the user's Avatar in most BB-Software
- YABA: Yet Another Bloody Acronym (see TLA).
- YABASIC: Yet Another BASIC
- YaBB: Yet Another Bulletin Board
- yaboot: Yet Another Bootloader
- YACAS: Yet Another Computer Algebra System
- YACC: Yet Another Compiler Compiler (supplied with Unix and Unix-like systems)
- YACD: Yet Another Character Dump (a description of a character in Angband)
- YAFC: Yet Another FTP Client
- YafRay: Yet Another Free Raytracer
- Yagl: Yet Another Game Library
- Yahoo!: Yet Another Hierarchical Officious Oracle
- YaJa: Yet Another Jabber API
- YaKuake: Yet Another Kuake (KDE Quake-style console)
- Yalc: Yet Another Liero Clone
- YALC: Yet Another Language Compiler
- YALE: Yet Another Line Editor (the system editor supplied with the UCSD Pascal p-System operating system/user environment; available for 8080, Z-80, 6809, 680x0, 808x, ... CPUs)
- YALMIP: Yet Another LMI Parser (See YALMIP, Convex programming and Semidefinite programming)
- YALTA: Yet Another Leak Test Application
- YAM: Yet Another Mailer (MUA)
- YamiPod: Yet Another iPod Manager
- YAML: Originally, Yet Another Markup Language
- YAP: Yet Another Previewer
- YAP: Yet Another Prolog
- YAPC: Yet Another Perl Conference
- YARV: Yet another Ruby VM
- YAS: formerly, Yet Another Society, now known as The Perl Foundation
- YASD: Yet Another Stupid Death, a death in NetHack caused by pilot error
- YASN: Yet Another Social Network
- YASNS: Yet Another Social Networking Service
- YAST: Yet Another Setup Tool (part of the SUSE Linux distro)
- YATI: Yet Another Trek Incongruence. Indicates an error found in a Star Trek episode, usually by fans. It is arguably the most used YA* among geeks.
- YATTT: Yet Another Tengwar Transcribing Tool
- YAUN: Yet Another Unix Nerd
- YAWL: Yet Another Workflow Language
- YAYACC: Yet Another Yet Another Compiler Compiler
- YAZ: Yet Another Z39.50 (Index Data's toolkit)
This jargon is also used in non-abbreviated form, and the inevitable 'Yet Another YAPC report' has also been used.
another in French: Yet another
accessory, added, additional, ancillary, autre chose, auxiliary, collateral, contributory, different story, different thing, else, extra, farther, fresh, further, more, new, no such thing, not that sort, not the same, not the type, of a sort, of another sort, of sorts, other, other than, otherwise, peculiar, plus, quite another thing, rare, renewed, second, something else, something else again, spare, special, sui generis, supernumerary, supplemental, supplementary, surplus, that, ulterior, unique